This month, Thanksgiving is celebrated in the USA. It is so easy to use festive seasons as an excuse to eat loads of unhealthy, decadent foods.
Holidays are full of food challenges. Do you find yourself eating way too much mashed potatoes? Pumpkin pie? Do those precious pounds you managed to shed these past eleven months find you again? Well, healthy holiday eating is not as challenging as you think.
Tips to Keep It Clean and Stay Lean
Don’t be afraid to experiment with food; some of the best recipes are created that way. As you prepare your cooked meals throughout this festive season, why not add a freshly stacked, mouthwatering raw salad?
Layered Festive Salad
Layer the following on a large platter: Fresh organic mixed greens, sliced baby tomatoes, diced red, yellow and orange bell peppers, cucumber, grated carrots, spring onions or red onions, freshly diced pineapple or oven-baked butternut squash, raw sunflower seeds and a sprinkle of cranberries and pecans. Before serving, top it with freshly diced avocado and fresh lemon juice. Served with fresh vinaigrette, it really is delicious and bursting with live, raw enzymes!
- Swap out heavy desserts for fresh fruit desserts.
- If you really want to indulge in a decadent dessert, share it with someone: only half the fat and calories.
- If eating a cheesecake or apple pie, try to avoid the pastry or crust as this is where the fat and carbs lurk.
- Swap out cream-based soups for broth-based veggie soups.
- Be active; we were born to move. It is a wonderful way to release toxins, manage weight and keep our skin glowing.
- Stay hydrated. Start your day with hot water, freshly squeezed lemon juice and zested ginger. Ginger is a natural decongestant and it contains potent anti-inflammatory compounds.
You may want to consider taking digestive enzymes with cooked food. The only ones I endorse are AIM PrepZymes, containing enzymes to digest every type of food that we
eat. For those folks transitioning to a healthy lifestyle, this is a great “tool” to use. In my opinion, if your plate of food is not at least 60 percent raw, digestive enzymes will be beneficial to take.